Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Sony CD Player Repair

I have an old Sony 5-disc CD player. It wasn't working when I got
it. Cracked the lid and the issue appears to be that the motors are
worn down. This unit is maybe 10+ years old and in 2nd or 3rd hand
condition. My question is whether it's the motors that are worn down
or the power supply. I suspect the motors due to their mechanical
nature but the behavior (sluggishness) suggests that perhaps they
aren't getting enough power. Open to suggestions and tests that could
be run.

Thanks ahead.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 12/11/2011 7:14 PM, mearvk wrote:
I have an old Sony 5-disc CD player. It wasn't working when I got
it. Cracked the lid and the issue appears to be that the motors are
worn down. This unit is maybe 10+ years old and in 2nd or 3rd hand
condition. My question is whether it's the motors that are worn down
or the power supply. I suspect the motors due to their mechanical
nature but the behavior (sluggishness) suggests that perhaps they
aren't getting enough power. Open to suggestions and tests that could
be run.

Thanks ahead.

Hello,

I'd start by looking at belts that have stretched out over time. They
could also be just dirty or greasy. You can try cleaning them and the
pulleys they run on with plain rubbing alcohol. Lubrication can also be
an issue, but DON'T use spray lubricants, and be very sparing with any lube.

The date the machine was made is likely marked on it, as most, if not
all products with lasers are.

It would be helpful if you would post the model number of the player in
future posts.

Regards,
Tim Schwartz
Bristol Electronics
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Dec 12, 7:33*am, Tim Schwartz wrote:
[...]

It's a Sony CDP-C260Z. There appears to be sufficient grease on the
tracks. Yes, I checked the belts. One of them in a non-tooth version
which, as you suggest, has stretched out over time. I don't know
where I'd get a replacement for it however. I see a sticker on the
back with 1997 on it.

The motor which controls the in-out functionality of the 5-disc tray
is toothed. This too, is quite sluggish. Yes, there's a good deal of
grease on the teeth, drive mechanisms.

So again, what do you think is the best way to approach solving the
sluggishness, assuming its not grease?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Dec 12, 11:43*am, mearvk wrote:
[...]

Edit:

The motor which controls the in-out functionality of the 5-disc tray
is driven by a toothed belt. *This too, is quite sluggish. *Yes, there's a good deal of
grease on the teeth & drive mechanisms.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

mearvk wrote in message
[...]

So is the grease sticky or gummy, especially if its got in a plastic+plastic
bearing surface?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Dec 12, 12:36*pm, "N_Cook" wrote:
mearvk wrote in message

[...]

No, neither sticky nor gummy. It's as grease should be, whitish
yellow and not hardened at all.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 12/12/2011 11:43 AM, mearvk wrote:
On Dec 12, 7:33 am, Tim wrote:
[...]

Good morning,

Well, then the next thing I'd do is get a schematic and check power
supply voltages. I'd also replace the belt. Look for a Sony parts
distributor in your area. One in California is Andrews Electronics
(www.andrewselectronics.com) You'd be able to get a service manual too,
at a price.

Regards,
Tim Schwartz