Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Kevin Miller[_2_] Kevin Miller[_2_] is offline

Default Reverse segment calculator

On 12/11/2011 01:23 PM, Kevin Miller wrote:
really. End grain isn't that muhc of an issue - I'm still mostly turning
side grain. I'll post a photo later showing the effect and what the
rings look like after they're trimmed on the bandsaw & lathe. It makes
more sense when you see the destination...

OK, I take back what I said about end grain. Good catch Ray.

Over in a.b.p.w I posted a couple new shots. One is a bowl I finished
the other day using the reverse segment method, and the other is the
glue-up that I posted yesterday. I must have done them slightly
differently, as the glue-up clearly is going to yield a lot of end
grain, whereas the bowl has side grain. Go figure.

This is the first time I've tried doing the reverse segments, so there's
a learning curve. I'll have to go out to the garage and cut some more
segments and play with them to see what I did differently. I suspect I
didn't 'reverse' the segments on the bowl - that is, the angle faced
toward the center rather than the outside, and on the glue-up I did
reverse them.

I'll take some shots of my experimenting and post the results...

....Kevin
--
Kevin Miller - http://www.alaska.net/~atftb
Juneau, Alaska