Posted to sci.electronics.repair
spamtrap1888 spamtrap1888 is offline

Default Motor question

On Dec 6, 1:21*pm, "Phil Allison" wrote:
"spamtrap1888"

I'm too tired to reason this out; does anybody know: Can a motor
designed to run off 50 Hz successfully run off 60Hz? I dimly recall
that motors designed for one frequency will operate safely on the
other, but which way can you go?

** Synchronous motors will normally be OK at either 50Hz or 60 Hz.

*This includes AC fans, turntable motors and workshop motors on bench drills
etc.

*Thing is, 50 Hz equates to 230 volts and 60 Hz equates to 120 volts.

*The motors will run 20% faster at 60 Hz *- and maybe a tad warmer.

Thanks, Phil and everyone. I was concerned, because while I can get a
2:1 transformer to operate a constant-speed motorized appliance, I
can't easily supply power at a different frequency.