Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Motor question

I'm too tired to reason this out; does anybody know: Can a motor
designed to run off 50 Hz successfully run off 60Hz? I dimly recall
that motors designed for one frequency will operate safely on the
other, but which way can you go? Assume I'm using the proper voltage
for the motor.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 2011-12-06, spamtrap1888 wrote:
I'm too tired to reason this out; does anybody know: Can a motor
designed to run off 50 Hz successfully run off 60Hz? I dimly recall
that motors designed for one frequency will operate safely on the
other, but which way can you go? Assume I'm using the proper voltage
for the motor.

Most should work, but bear in mind that many of their parameters depend
on the frequency. What kind of a motor is it?

--

SDF Public Access UNIX System -
http://sdf.org
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Mon, 5 Dec 2011 23:29:24 -0800 (PST), spamtrap1888
wrote:

I'm too tired to reason this out; does anybody know: Can a motor
designed to run off 50 Hz successfully run off 60Hz? I dimly recall
that motors designed for one frequency will operate safely on the
other, but which way can you go? Assume I'm using the proper voltage
for the motor.

Simplest explanation:

A small increase in frequency shouldn't be a problem other than the
possible speed increase..

Going the other way is more of a problem as the motor would not have
enough iron in it for the lower frequency.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"spamtrap1888"

I'm too tired to reason this out; does anybody know: Can a motor
designed to run off 50 Hz successfully run off 60Hz? I dimly recall
that motors designed for one frequency will operate safely on the
other, but which way can you go?

** Synchronous motors will normally be OK at either 50Hz or 60 Hz.

This includes AC fans, turntable motors and workshop motors on bench drills
etc.

Thing is, 50 Hz equates to 230 volts and 60 Hz equates to 120 volts.

The motors will run 20% faster at 60 Hz - and maybe a tad warmer.

.... Phil

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Phil Allison"

The motors will run 20% faster at 60 Hz - and maybe a tad warmer.

** A 60Hz design motor will run slower and warmer at 50Hz.

.... Phil

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"spamtrap1888" wrote in message

I'm too tired to reason this out; does anybody know: Can a motor
designed to run off 50 Hz successfully run off 60Hz? I dimly recall
that motors designed for one frequency will operate safely on the
other, but which way can you go? Assume I'm using the proper voltage
for the motor.

If it is a synchronous type motor, it will safely run, although a tad
faster: 6/5 x the design speed. Not usually an issue, other than the
slightly faster speed.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 2011-12-06, Phil Allison wrote:

"Phil Allison"

The motors will run 20% faster at 60 Hz - and maybe a tad warmer.

** A 60Hz design motor will run slower and warmer at 50Hz.

Why warmer?

Magnetic saturation of the iron in the rotor and stator. It's the
same as transformer saturation at a lower than design frequency, if you
don't reduce the input voltage.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Phil Allison wrote:

"spamtrap1888"

I'm too tired to reason this out; does anybody know: Can a motor
designed to run off 50 Hz successfully run off 60Hz? I dimly recall
that motors designed for one frequency will operate safely on the
other, but which way can you go?

** Synchronous motors will normally be OK at either 50Hz or 60 Hz.

This includes AC fans, turntable motors and workshop motors on bench drills
etc.

Fans and drills don't use synchronous motors. Old clocks/timers and
turtables/tapedeck might.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Cydrome Leader"
Phil Allison

** Synchronous motors will normally be OK at either 50Hz or 60 Hz.

This includes AC fans, turntable motors and workshop motors on bench
drills
etc.

Fans and drills don't use synchronous motors.

** OK - so they use " induction " motors, which spin at a speed
determined by the AC supply frequency but are not synchronised with it.

..... Phil

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Dec 7, 2:23*pm, "Phil Allison" wrote:
"Cydrome Leader"

Phil Allison

** Synchronous motors will normally be OK at either 50Hz or 60 Hz.

This includes AC fans, turntable motors and workshop motors on bench
drills
etc.

Fans and drills don't use synchronous motors.

** *OK - * so they use *" induction " motors, which spin at a speed
determined by the AC supply frequency but are not synchronised with it.

.... *Phil

Years ago when I worked on military aircraft electronics we would
sometimes connect the lab clock up to the 115V 400 HZ supply. Who says
time doesn't fly on a Friday afternoon....Lenny
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Dec 7, 4:04*pm, klem kedidelhopper
wrote:

Years ago when I worked on military aircraft electronics we would
sometimes connect the lab clock up to the 115V 400 HZ supply. Who says
time doesn't fly on a Friday afternoon....Lenny

In my youth I often puzzled why HP test equipment was rated to work
off 400 Hz -- why did the Air Force use that?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 12/7/2011 8:00 PM, spamtrap1888 wrote:
In my youth I often puzzled why HP test equipment was rated to work
off 400 Hz -- why did the Air Force use that?

Because the power transformers, filter chokes and capacitors
were smaller and lighter. Both very important things when
designing aircraft equipment.

Jeff

--
"Everything from Crackers to Coffins"
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

Years ago when I worked on military aircraft electronics we would
sometimes connect the lab clock up to the 115V 400 HZ supply. Who says
time doesn't fly on a Friday afternoon....Lenny

In my youth I often puzzled why HP test equipment was rated to work
off 400 Hz -- why did the Air Force use that?

everything was smaller at those frequencies..

smaller and lighter.

Jamie

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 2011-12-06, Phil Allison wrote:

"Phil Allison"

The motors will run 20% faster at 60 Hz - and maybe a tad warmer.

** A 60Hz design motor will run slower and warmer at 50Hz.

Why warmer?

Magnetic saturation of the iron in the rotor and stator. It's the
same as transformer saturation at a lower than design frequency, if you
don't reduce the input voltage.

Ah, indeed. I forgot about this one, all I was thinking was higher frequency
should result in the motor running warmer due to increasing iron losses.

Thanks!

--

SDF Public Access UNIX System -
http://sdf.org
% grep me no patterns and I'll tell you no lines
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 2011-12-06, Phil Allison wrote:

"Phil Allison"

The motors will run 20% faster at 60 Hz - and maybe a tad warmer.

** A 60Hz design motor will run slower and warmer at 50Hz.

Why warmer?

Magnetic saturation of the iron in the rotor and stator. It's the
same as transformer saturation at a lower than design frequency, if you
don't reduce the input voltage.

Ah, indeed. I forgot about this one, all I was thinking was higher frequency
should result in the motor running warmer due to increasing iron losses.

Thanks!

You're welcome.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Dec 6, 1:21*pm, "Phil Allison" wrote:
"spamtrap1888"

I'm too tired to reason this out; does anybody know: Can a motor
designed to run off 50 Hz successfully run off 60Hz? I dimly recall
that motors designed for one frequency will operate safely on the
other, but which way can you go?

** Synchronous motors will normally be OK at either 50Hz or 60 Hz.

*This includes AC fans, turntable motors and workshop motors on bench drills
etc.

*Thing is, 50 Hz equates to 230 volts and 60 Hz equates to 120 volts.

*The motors will run 20% faster at 60 Hz *- and maybe a tad warmer.

Thanks, Phil and everyone. I was concerned, because while I can get a
2:1 transformer to operate a constant-speed motorized appliance, I
can't easily supply power at a different frequency.