Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Rain, rain go away. Water in basement

On Dec 8, 1:48*pm, cln wrote:
Get a waterproofing service in. *Free estimate.

I'll try to find someone to come in. it may not be what I think it
is..

I actually just looked at the drain outside by the ditch. The water is
coming out clear...but slow. I think it might be the ditch that can't
handle the load and it's not even raining anymore. I'll call DOT to
see if they can come have a look but they will probably blame my
culvet or driveway...

For example, I don't carpet my basement, but have some rugs I can roll
up and get off the floor when it rains hard and long.
I don't put any stuffed furniture down there.
I won't insulate the walls with batts.
Won't drywall or use expensive paneling.
Nothing I can't afford to lose from flooding goes down there.
Blah, blah.
You decide what works for you.

--Vic

Thanks Vic.

First thing I would do is check on what is going on OUTSIDE. Is the
grading correct so that it leads water
away from the foundation? Is the water from the gutters
taken 8ft or so away or just running off a short spash block
back to the foundation? Go out there and look when it is
actually raining hard. I've had cases where what you think
is happening and what actually happens are quite different
For example, I had 4" corugated pipe slipped over the end
of one downspout and it turned out with a heavy rain, it was
not secured on high enough, resulting in water pouring out
right at the foundation.