Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair
Bill[_9_] Bill[_9_] is offline

Default "hard start" on AC

"Rich Greenberg" wrote in message
I had my A.C./heat pump serviced today. The tech is suggesting
adding
something called a "hard start" to the compressor starting circut
which
supposedly reduces wear on the motor. And costs almost $200.

I have never heard of this. Have any of you and is it a good idea?

Let's see... The AC manufacturer has electrical engineers designing
their equipment. And this equipment has a "name plate" with a
recommended circuit to power that unit. I should think that would work
if the appropriate circuit and wire gauge is used?

And this person thinks the manufacturer of the AC equipment did not
design things right? And he knows more than that manufacturer? What
are his qualifications?

Might want to ask on alt.engineering.electrical and get an expert
opinion. Or better yet, call the AC manufacturer engineering
department and see what they have to say...