Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Wind not good for wind farms...

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
fred writes:
In article , Andrew Gabriel
writes
Interesting pics at 16:47, 16:38, and 14:48 (might be same as first one)...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/mobile/uk-...6082303?psdata
=11_3_8_4_9_10__CD11__CK12_14_15_

LMAO, useless in wind, useless in no wind, what is the point?

The one in flames I found particularly amusing.

Here it is in more detail...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/md93/se...57628334022703

Jesus H!

there's lumps falling off that - some of them on fire - and going
hundreds of ywarsd!

And they want to put these things up 400 yards from where people LIVE!!!

That said, the gusts have been particularly fierce, going from nothing
to 80mph in half a second so I'm not surprised things are breaking.

Got a colleague stuck at the airport at the moment.
Apparently, British Airways is recommending a "full trip" to
the lavatory prior to departure. I guess that's polite speak
for number 1's and number 2's...

I landed once in conditions like this..on the short diagonal runway at
Heathrow into the teeth of a souwester.

ill swear the airspeed was about 250 knots till touchdown, but it
stopped awful quick.

The last 5 miles were 'interesting' bit like a roller coaster with e
engines surging and cutting as we bounced from wave to to wave top.

almost rivals Lufthansa with the fog/low cloud - pilot decided to ignore
the glide path and droped down to about 800 feet some 15 miles away from
Zaventem. Delusions of being an ME108 on a strafing run...

Top memory though is Guernsey on a 45mph cross wind ad LOTS of turbulence.

I really didn't think he would actually not abort that one..we were half
way down the runway canted over and sideways before the first wheel
touched. Full credit. He had nearly 12 feet of runway left when we stopped..