Posted to alt.home.repair
Roanin Roanin is offline

Default Heater Sizing

"Jim Elbrecht" wrote in message
On Wed, 7 Dec 2011 21:54:38 -0500, "Roanin"
wrote:

I have a room in my pole barn that I am building for my man cave. It is 14
20. I have R19 insulation in the walls and R38 in the floor and ceilings.
It
is on the second floor and the ceiling is about 7' tall. I am located in
central Ohio. How would I figure out what size heater I need to make it
relatively comfortable to work in when it is cold out. Near as I can
figure
I need about 14,000 BTU, do you think this is correct?
Thanks,

'work in'? Man cave or workshop? To me, 'Man cave' implies' warm
enough to lounge around-- workshop would want to be cool enough so you
don't sweat all over your work.

You need to figure in windows, doors, and 'infiltration'.

Then decide whether you're going to keep it warm all the time, or if
you're going to go out there when it is -20F & hope to have a party in
an hour.

Jim

Actually it is just a room that I want to make comfortable when I go out
there to do whatever. Probably will not be out there when it is -20F. Who
knows what I will use it for. Plans are always changing.