Bay Area Dave

Default Pinging: All Wreckers regarding nutcase posting as me, Bay AreaDave.

thanks, Robert. I'll probably give it a try tomorrow if I can find out
where to download it. I'll Google later.

dave

Robert Bonomi wrote:

In article ,
Bay Area Dave wrote:

I've heard of nfilter but I can't use that WITH Netscape can I? I'm
clueless about other newsreaders.

Yes, you CAN. It will work with virtually any newsreader except the one
that is built-in in the AOL all-in-one client.

Anything that will connect to a 'standard news-server' -- i.e., something
that speaks the "NNRP" (commonly called "NNTP", although that is totally
different, albeit related) protocol, on port 119 -- can use nFilter. You
simply tell nFilter where the 'real' news server lives, and then tell your
newsreader software to use "localhost" (or IP address 127.0.0.1), port 119 as
the news-server address.

nFilter "looks like" a real news-server to any client software, and "doesn't
care" _what_ software you're using, as long as it speaks the standard protocol.

Robert Bonomi wrote:

In article ,
Bay Area Dave wrote:

You can ALWAYS verify it's me, if you switch headers to "full" and look at:

THE FOLLOWING FOUR LINES ARE FROM MY HEADER:

The impostor can't possibly match those details.

Posting through the mail-to-news gateway he currently uses, it's nearly
impossible. Via other methods, is a different matter -- check the full
headers of *this* message. grin

the imposter is *really* easy to spot. look at the "Path: " header.

If it contains "sewer-output" (No, I'm -not- kidding!) towards the right
side of the path, then it was posted through the anonymous mail-to-news
gateway at dizum.com in Holland. If you can filter on the Path: header,
this is a 100% reliable method of dropping anything from that anonymous
gateway. *STRONGLY* recommended.

nFilter syntax:

rec.woodworking Drop path:.*sewer-out

This may be ineffective for some nFilter users, depending on the
configuration of the actual ISP newsserver. (The official documentation
and at least some reports 'from the field' are in disagreement as to
whether that filter always does something. There are reports that if
a header is not in the ISP 'overview' file, then filters referencing that
header are silently ignored.)