Posted to uk.d-i-y
TMC[_2_] TMC[_2_] is offline

Default Damaged worktop: what to do

"F" news@nowhere wrote in message
o.uk...
On 08/12/2011 09:03 MuddyMike wrote:

Simple. Pick up telephone, call insurance company. That's assuming you
have
accidental damage cover.

We are covered, and I could do that. The only problem is that come renewal
time they'll most likely up the premium to a level where they recoup their
outlay and more on top.

For that kind of reason I treat household insurance as 'disaster'
insurance rather than 'put cock-ups right' insurance.

I would go with the tile

The stainless bars are fine in solid wood work tops but the groove for them
in formica will expose the core to damp. Stainless plate without insulation
under will I suspect cook the core to some extent

If you can get a decent bevel edge tile or marble pastry board you can set
it proud of the worktop by a couple of mm

This allows for a bit of sealer around the edge and also means that if a hot
pan is put not quite in the right spot it does not touch the surrounding
formica

Regards