jack

Default Experiences hammer veenering?

Tried this, very tricky. Requires a real good touch, heat-press-move,
heat-press-move, give up. Get a piece of veneer, real veneer, not the
stuff from Woodcraft, its too flat. Flatten it, takes several days,
instructions on net. Spread glue, let dry, set iron on pretty warm,
lay down veneer, heat-press-move, watch veneer buckle,
heat-press-move, cuss, give up.
Plan B. Flatten 2 pieces veneer, one for each side. Get oversize MDF
at the Big Orange store. Put yellow glue on both sides. Put veneer on
both sides about an inch form one edge. Put garbage bag over veneer.
put MDF over garbage bag. Clamp well. come back tomorrow. Unclamp,
trim to suit. Works for me.

Be sure finish is water resistant or the drool will leave spots.

Paul Kierstead wrote in message rs.com...
I have made a solemn oath: I can buy blades and "wear related" items,
jig supplies, fastening hardware and wood for the shop, but nothing
else. Even planes are out (that is a toughie, though if I stumble across
a bunch of excellent quality cheap molding planes I WILL sin). OK, I am
not 100% successful at keeping it (and man does those HVLP threads make
me tempted) but I am working hard to keeping it.

But, I really would like to try a little veneering and -- if that works
-- start making my own veneer (for my own uses, not commercially). I
don't own a veneer press, don't own a vacuum press. Reading a very old
article by Tage Frid, he makes hammer veneering sound pretty doable.
However, a later article by Ian Kirby says it is pretty hard to do.

Has anyone had any experience doing this that they would be willing to
share? Particularly on success rate, number of tries to "get it right"
and success with thick veneers of the sort you tend to get off of a
bandsaw/planer set-up.

Paul K