Posted to uk.d-i-y
thirty-six thirty-six is offline

Default Oil filter change in old car - how often?

On Dec 5, 11:46*pm, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:
ARWadsworth wrote:
Bob Minchin wrote:
AL_n wrote:
I last changed the engine oil filter in my Mitsubishi 2.8 turbo
deisel, about 2 years ago. Is that pushing it, a bit? I should say
it is a 16 year- old vehicle.

What is the effect of *never* changing the oild filter? Does the
filter eventually clog up, or what?

As for oil changes, there is a slight leak in the rocker box gasket,
so the occasional oil top-ups amount to a complete oil change about
every 2 years, without needing to undo the sump nut - very
convenient. ;-) TIA

Al
6000ml/6months whichever is the sooner. more modern diesels are
12000ml/12months.

Are you sure?

I am sure my 54 reg van has the oil change at around 30000 miles. I cannot
find the handbook at the moment to check that. Not that I need it as there
is a light comes on the dash to tell me to swap the oil and this is based on
the type and style of driving that I do.

Thst VERY modern.

Really tight torlearnces and beter materials and beter design and
synthetic oils have pushed oil changes from 3000 miles (BMC A series) to

As fitted to the Marina, Maestro and Metro, the main service interval
(with 1980's oils) was 12,000 miles without any intermediary interval.

6000 miles (later BMC series) to 10k miles or annually (most modern cars
I have driven)

I believe some will do better..

They might survive, but their economy and performance will suffer,
along with driver satisfaction.