Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Oil filter change in old car - how often?

Scott M wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

I would change the filter and drain teh oil about every 10k miles. It
is not a big job.

Failure to do that will limit engine life to about 80K miles max
instead of the 200K most engines will do if not abused.

Which century are you living in?!? The era of cars needing a new engine
at 100k are long, long gone. Anything built in the last 20 years will do
200k on average maintenance.

Which is exactly what I said. regular maintenance good for 200k

dont maintain? as low as 80k.

That there aren't many about is that they
become worthless and chucked in for a change or aren't economic to keep
on the road for the usual reasons.

Note to buyers:
Beware the 2 year old car with 120k on the clock: Or the one year old
with 60K..Its a reps car and many companies simply never service them
at all from new till resale. It may look shiny, but it probably never
had a pad change or an oil change in its life.

Bought my 320d at 127k 3.5yrs old. Stamped service book and copy of
maintenance done kept by the finance company. Done 40k and still 000s
off the next service (20k interval) and the reciprocating parts are at
the bottom of the list as far as things I reckon will need attention!

In similar vein, anyone remember the bloke who posted (prob on
uk.rec.cars.*) about the 2 Astra vans he ran side by side to 100k. One
serviced by the book, the other just keeping the oil topped up. At 100k
the "abused" one was the better car.

Scott