Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] grimly4@gmail.com is offline

Default Oil filter change in old car - how often?

On Tue, 06 Dec 2011 20:30:08 +0000, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

There are a lot of cars out there that require cam belt replacement at
60,000 or even 40.000 miles so every 100,000 isn't a good idea.

My ****eOldToyota is a 60K/5yr interval.

Most belts do 60-80k

I've not seen one snap at 40k, but had two (both vauxhall) go at the
sort of 70k mark.

The 1.8 Escrote diesel cambelt was notorious for letting go at 60K,
almost exactly. This was despite Ford specifiying a replacement life
of 100K. Iirc, the revised mileage was 40K, to be on the safe side.
Hardly surprising, as the belt took so many twists and turns it had a
really hard life. I suspect Ford based their estimations on the test
lumps which obviously weren't put through the 24/7/365 duty cycles of
courier vans. Mind you, Ford's previous cambelts were almost unknown
for snapping, but they were simple runs for the belts.