Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
tom koehler tom koehler is offline

Default Recycling Shop Vac bags???

On Wed, 7 Dec 2011 7:39:55 -0600, Keith wrote
(in message ):

Before reinventing the wheel, has anyone tried recycling Shop Vac bags.
I use it in the workshop to clean up the area after turning, but it
seems an awful waste because we all know how many chips are generated -
The bags fill quickly and are tossed out. The dust collector gets some
of the wood chips and dust. but the ol' Shop Vac is great for the
general clean-up.

I had an idea yesterday about cutting a slit along the bottom and using
tape to reseal it after the bag was emptied. Maybe a slit down the side
would be better. Either way the plan is to use that sticky silver colour
duct tape or Tyvek to re-seal the slit.

Any thoughts??

Keith P

well, my shop vac is actually a Jet dust collector with an enormous filter on
top of it, and then a plastic bag underneath to collect whatever is picked
up. The hose is about 4" diameter and I use it the same as any shop vac hose.
Works great, is very quiet, and yes, I recycle the bag. The machine came with
about a half-dozen bags of about 20 gallon size. The bag is exposed and held
in place with an expanding spring clamp. I simply release the clamp and dump
the bag into my trash barrel and then replace that bag. It has a couple of
cuts or tears in it that I have simply repaired with duct tape. Works great!
tom koehler

--
I will find a way or make one.