Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Recycling Shop Vac bags???

Before reinventing the wheel, has anyone tried recycling Shop Vac bags.
I use it in the workshop to clean up the area after turning, but it
seems an awful waste because we all know how many chips are generated -
The bags fill quickly and are tossed out. The dust collector gets some
of the wood chips and dust. but the ol' Shop Vac is great for the
general clean-up.

I had an idea yesterday about cutting a slit along the bottom and using
tape to reseal it after the bag was emptied. Maybe a slit down the side
would be better. Either way the plan is to use that sticky silver colour
duct tape or Tyvek to re-seal the slit.

Any thoughts??

Keith P

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hi Keith,
I do the same as you but slit along the top not the bottom. Works for me,
I have been using the same bag for months now.

Tpm

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Thanks...I haven't done anything with it yet...It was just an idea.
What do /you/ use to seal the slit???

Another good thing is this is the fact I can find some of the things
that weren't supposed to be sucked in - (outside of course) :O)

Keith

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Wed, 7 Dec 2011 7:39:55 -0600, Keith wrote
(in message ):

Before reinventing the wheel, has anyone tried recycling Shop Vac bags.
I use it in the workshop to clean up the area after turning, but it
seems an awful waste because we all know how many chips are generated -
The bags fill quickly and are tossed out. The dust collector gets some
of the wood chips and dust. but the ol' Shop Vac is great for the
general clean-up.

I had an idea yesterday about cutting a slit along the bottom and using
tape to reseal it after the bag was emptied. Maybe a slit down the side
would be better. Either way the plan is to use that sticky silver colour
duct tape or Tyvek to re-seal the slit.

Any thoughts??

Keith P

well, my shop vac is actually a Jet dust collector with an enormous filter on
top of it, and then a plastic bag underneath to collect whatever is picked
up. The hose is about 4" diameter and I use it the same as any shop vac hose.
Works great, is very quiet, and yes, I recycle the bag. The machine came with
about a half-dozen bags of about 20 gallon size. The bag is exposed and held
in place with an expanding spring clamp. I simply release the clamp and dump
the bag into my trash barrel and then replace that bag. It has a couple of
cuts or tears in it that I have simply repaired with duct tape. Works great!
tom koehler

--
I will find a way or make one.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Keith I use ordinary masking tape. The kind painters and decorators use
I slit the top of the bag, emty it and fold the top half inch over, then use
the tape to seal it

Tom

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

In article ,
Keith wrote:

Before reinventing the wheel, has anyone tried recycling Shop Vac bags.

Bags?

My shop vac (crapsman noisemaker which incidentally makes a bit of
suction with all the racket) does not have bags. Never did. It has a
canister you dump, and a pleated filter you clean. I upgraded the filter
to a cleanstream a while back, haven't bought a new filter since.