Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Oil filter change in old car - how often?

In article
,
Neil Williams wrote:
On Dec 7, 11:51 am, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

Err, I wasn't suggesting neglecting routine servicing. Just querying the
oft stated view that you need to change engine oil more often than the
maker says.

Most things about car engines are designed for a certain acceptable %
of failures, given that 0 is pretty much unachievable (even with
costly aircraft engines, which is why you tend to have at least two of
them!) For instance, a lot of people change cambelts early because
that will reduce the percentage chance of an early failure.

I'm not sure to what extent that applies to oil changes, though. I've
always done them pretty much according to manufacturer's
recommendations (though sometimes a month or so late) and it has never
caused me issues. I suppose it *could* reduce the car's life by a few
months or a few thousand miles if you do it a bit late, but I don't
tend to keep cars that long anyway.

That tends to be the case. Those who advocate halving the oil change
mileage could only benefit if they bought the car new and ran it into the
ground. And just how many do? And with good quality oil costing perhaps 12
quid a litre it's a significant extra cost.

But if you don't change the oil at all, over time it will lose its
lubricating properties and gain water and other impurities and so
friction and corrosion within the engine will increase.

Oh, indeed. I take the view the makers know best, so stick to their
service recommendations.

--
*Women like silent men; they think they're listening.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.