Posted to uk.d-i-y
thirty-six thirty-six is offline

Default Oil filter change in old car - how often?

On Dec 6, 8:18*pm, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:
Bob Minchin wrote:
AL_n wrote:
I last changed the engine oil filter in my Mitsubishi 2.8 turbo
deisel, about 2 years ago. Is that pushing it, a bit? I should say
it is a 16 year- old vehicle.

What is the effect of *never* changing the oild filter? Does the
filter eventually clog up, or what?

As for oil changes, there is a slight leak in the rocker box gasket,
so the occasional oil top-ups amount to a complete oil change about
every 2 years, without needing to undo the sump nut - very
convenient. ;-) TIA

Al

6000ml/6months whichever is the sooner. more modern diesels are
12000ml/12months.

You might be adding clean oil regularly but the leak is not getting
rid of any of the sludge from your sump neither do you burn any
sludge.
Workout how much hassle and cost to you of a seized engine compared
with 2hrs max per year changing your own oil.

Go figure as our 'merkin friends say.

Further to my other posts my van handbook says that "if more than 1 litre of
oil is used for top ups between service intervals then the oil change
interval is reduced to 20K and that the service interval display should be
ignored"

ROTFLMAO

OMG, a feel good indicator. Why don't you just rig up a lamp to
indicate you missed the jackpot on the lottery this week. It'll at
least be a more reliable indicator. That sort of bull**** is never
supposed to leave the programmer's bug sheets, er feature list.