Posted to uk.d-i-y
thirty-six thirty-six is offline

Default Oil filter change in old car - how often?

On Dec 7, 12:54*am, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
* *The Natural Philosopher wrote:
I'm not convinced it does. Most engines outlast the car anyway these
days - unless they suffer a failure like a broken cambelt or cooling
system, neither of which will be prevented by frequent oil changes.

Er no.

They can still end up with worn bores and buggered bearings and burn oil
and then put a rod through the block.

Please name and shame so we know to avoid those makes.

Any car will do that if you abuse it with no oil and no filter cahnges
drive it hard and let it go past a point of no return

Its LESS likely today because in general ignition timing and fuel
mixture are far better controlled with EFI so chances of damaged valves
pistons and general coking up are small. *but enough **** in the oil, a
blocked oil gallery and a run out bearing and clatter clatter bang as
the big end goes..and there's a grand and a half for a new engine, or
get a scrapper.

Or you get low coolant a warped head and a stressed overhead cam, that
snaps and the piston and the valves have sex, discover theres no vagina,
and proceed to make one..

Or the head gasket goes, dumps water in the oil, and that takes out the
big ends - or even the mains..

There is a reason why you check oil, change filters and oil and change
coolant on a regular basis....

It wasn't my fault, I didn't know the oil was four years old and
loaded with petrol when I road-tested the van at 80mph. Yep, I'd just
sorted out the ignition and carb and the beast was running well with
top acceleration and hill climbing, so i took it on the dual
carriageway. After probably 8 minutes of 80mph running, there was a
change in engine note (muffled like) and I looked at the neelde and
watched it dip slightly. "Ug, somethings wrong.". I eased off but
the bad note remained so I declutched and the oil pressure light came
on a couple of seconds before stalling so I let the clutch out for a
bit to stop the engine seizing then coasted to a stop a couple of
miles down the road. I phoned my brother, telling him what was wrong
and to bring a new can of cheap thick oil so I could drive home. He
arrived on his motorbike without the oil, so I drove at 25mph on the
then cooled oil for the .12 mile or so home. The oil was black, stunk
of petrol and had the consistency of water. It was a wonder I made it
past two minutes at top speed. It had been a main bearing failure
which dumped the oil pressure, and no you don't need to have used
Slutt 50, a used engine will run at low loads without an oil feed for
hours. There's a big difference in engine loading at 80mph than at
25mph-40mph (must have been the wind pushing ;-) ).