Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Oil filter change in old car - how often?

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
I'm not convinced it does. Most engines outlast the car anyway these
days - unless they suffer a failure like a broken cambelt or cooling
system, neither of which will be prevented by frequent oil changes.

Er no.

They can still end up with worn bores and buggered bearings and burn oil
and then put a rod through the block.

Please name and shame so we know to avoid those makes.

Any car will do that if you abuse it with no oil and no filter cahnges
drive it hard and let it go past a point of no return

Its LESS likely today because in general ignition timing and fuel
mixture are far better controlled with EFI so chances of damaged valves
pistons and general coking up are small. but enough **** in the oil, a
blocked oil gallery and a run out bearing and clatter clatter bang as
the big end goes..and there's a grand and a half for a new engine, or
get a scrapper.

Or you get low coolant a warped head and a stressed overhead cam, that
snaps and the piston and the valves have sex, discover theres no vagina,
and proceed to make one..

Or the head gasket goes, dumps water in the oil, and that takes out the
big ends - or even the mains..

There is a reason why you check oil, change filters and oil and change
coolant on a regular basis....