Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARWadsworth ARWadsworth is offline

Default Oil filter change in old car - how often?

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article
,
Neil Williams wrote:
Some Vauxhall petrol engines are 2 years, 20000 miles. So I wouldn't
put it out of the realms of possibility for there to be a few
vehicles like that with modern engines and oils. Though changing
more often than that will probably do the engine good.

I'm not convinced it does. Most engines outlast the car anyway these
days - unless they suffer a failure like a broken cambelt or cooling
system, neither of which will be prevented by frequent oil changes.

Actually I do change the oil more often than 30K most times. My brother is
my mechanic and if I was for example having new brake pads fitted and the
oil has done 20K it makes sense for him to drop the oil whilst the car is on
the ramps as it saves me losing another half a days work.

This year is the first time the oil light has come on when actually due for
a change. Too many trips to London, Kent and the Lakes (I am blaming geoff
for some of the London trips)

--
Adam

* Sometimes I like to lay in my neighbours garden and pretend to be a
carrot *