Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B[_13_] Steve B[_13_] is offline

Default Block wall questions

"Home Guy" wrote

I'm not sure what is usually done regarding filling in the cells. I
wouldn't think that it's common to fill in all the cells of all the
blocks. Some of these diagrams show rebar placed from top to bottom and
filled in with concrete - that's probably what I'd do.

I think a lot depends on if your wall is subject to lateral loading
(like a free-standing wall) with no right-angle bends in it, or if this
is soil retaining wall.

What I have seen done a lot on 6' high walls is spacing rebar about 4'
apart. Screens are put into the proper places within the mortar so that
grout does not flow out, and then the isolated vertical row of bricks is
poured so that there is a solid vertical with rebar every four feet. The
top course may be screened as well to seal the top course.

My wall will take a lot of freeze/thaw cycles, and we have blowing sand that
may keep the base wet all winter from the rain and snow. Therefore, I think
I'll just make it double strong with rebar and concrete so that I don't have
any big cracks. Also, it will be setting on blowsand, and tending to
settle, so horizontal rebar, even for a three to six course high decorative
pony wall. It's a whole lot easier than trying to straighten or jack up a
sagging wall.

Steve