Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Vee thread based worm wheel, the pics

On Mon, 05 Dec 2011 11:24:55 -0800, Jon Anderson
wrote:

On 12/5/2011 6:40 AM, Ed Huntress wrote:

Ok, I think I have the picture. Not having shopped around, I don't
know what prices are of commercial components, but this is something
for which, a couple of decades ago, I would have reached first for the
Berg catalog.

Well, I spent 30 years collecting all sorts of stuff. Back when I
started, money was very very tight for any sort of projects. I've always
been a fan of making stuff out of other stuff even if the design isn't
optimal, so long as it functions well enough for the task. I guess I'm a
borderline hoarder... G Pretty easy to design and make functional
stuff with sufficient catalogs to shop from. Not everyone can look at a
pile of crap, er, stuff, and make something useful out of it. There is
of course, a big difference between designing for manufacturing, and
designing for personal use, to save $$.

BTW, if you're interested in a fine piece of photo equipment that has
a nice micro slide that can be removed and used alone, I have a
perfect-condition Bowens Illumitran that I might part with, if I knew
it was getting a good home. d8-)

Did a quick Google search on images, looks very interesting. But kinda
big for shipping. How much do you want, and how much does it weigh?
That could see a fair bit of use as is, I've got hundreds of slides I'd
scanned, but would love to copy with my camera. I shoot in RAW and can
do so much more WRT restoration than with scans.

Jon

It's a professional piece of equipment. I used it mostly to produce
slide shows from mixed-format originals, since I used to shoot a lot
of 4x5 and 6x7cm transparency film. And I used it to make internegs.

I'll dig it out tomorrow and see what I have with it. I think I still
have the Schneider 50mm enlarging lens that I used for most copying.
I've also used it with a 50mm Nikon and a 75mm Nikon enlarging lens; a
55mm Micro-Nikkor; and, with a jerry-rigged setup, a Schneider process
lens for the view camera.

If I forget, remind me in a day or two. I'm swamped.

BTW, if you're into these things, I also have a bulb-release
behind-the-lens shutter for barrel-mounted view-camera and process
lenses, which I no longer need. It never saw much use but it did save
my bacon for some multiple-exposure shots. One made the cover of
American Machinist back around 1980.

--
Ed Huntress