Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Oil filter change in old car - how often?

AL_n wrote:
I last changed the engine oil filter in my Mitsubishi 2.8 turbo deisel,
about 2 years ago. Is that pushing it, a bit? I should say it is a 16 year-
old vehicle.

What is the effect of *never* changing the oild filter? Does the filter
eventually clog up, or what?

yes.

As for oil changes, there is a slight leak in the rocker box gasket, so the
occasional oil top-ups amount to a complete oil change about every 2 years,
without needing to undo the sump nut - very convenient. ;-)

I would change the filter and drain teh oil about every 10k miles. It is
not a big job.

Failure to do that will limit engine life to about 80K miles max instead
of the 200K most engines will do if not abused.

Note to buyers:
Beware the 2 year old car with 120k on the clock: Or the one year old
with 60K..Its a reps car and many companies simply never service them at
all from new till resale. It may look shiny, but it probably never had a
pad change or an oil change in its life.

And in any case, if the pedal rubbers are worn and its got 20k on the
clock, worry. Its not so easy to clock cars as it was BUT you can get
the plates and the speedo off a wreck and put them on a high mileage
car..or just the speedo sometimes..

TIA

Al