Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARWadsworth ARWadsworth is offline

Default Oil filter change in old car - how often?

Bob Minchin wrote:
AL_n wrote:
I last changed the engine oil filter in my Mitsubishi 2.8 turbo
deisel, about 2 years ago. Is that pushing it, a bit? I should say
it is a 16 year- old vehicle.

What is the effect of *never* changing the oild filter? Does the
filter eventually clog up, or what?

As for oil changes, there is a slight leak in the rocker box gasket,
so the occasional oil top-ups amount to a complete oil change about
every 2 years, without needing to undo the sump nut - very
convenient. ;-) TIA

Al

6000ml/6months whichever is the sooner. more modern diesels are
12000ml/12months.

Are you sure?

I am sure my 54 reg van has the oil change at around 30000 miles. I cannot
find the handbook at the moment to check that. Not that I need it as there
is a light comes on the dash to tell me to swap the oil and this is based on
the type and style of driving that I do.

--
Adam

* Sometimes I like to lay in my neighbours garden and pretend to be a
carrot *