Posted to uk.d-i-y
thirty-six thirty-six is offline

Default Oil filter change in old car - how often?

On Dec 5, 3:44*pm, "AL_n" wrote:
I last changed the engine oil filter in my Mitsubishi 2.8 turbo deisel,
about 2 years ago. Is that pushing it, a bit? I should say it is a 16 year-
old vehicle.

What is the effect of *never* changing the oild filter? Does the filter
eventually clog up, or what?

The filter will block oil flow, keeping the bypass valve open, meaning
the engine is running on unfiltered oil continuously. Carbon deposits
will help blow engine seals and there will be an increase in bore and
bearing wear. Tappets may gunge up causing erratic and possibly
dangerous running, think of a valve sticking while cornering on slippy
stuff.

As for oil changes, there is a slight leak in the rocker box gasket, so the
occasional oil top-ups amount to a complete oil change about every 2 years,
without needing to undo the sump nut - very convenient. ;-)

Should make an ideal demonstration when doing an oil change.