Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Minchin[_4_] Bob Minchin[_4_] is offline

Default Oil filter change in old car - how often?

AL_n wrote:
I last changed the engine oil filter in my Mitsubishi 2.8 turbo deisel,
about 2 years ago. Is that pushing it, a bit? I should say it is a 16 year-
old vehicle.

What is the effect of *never* changing the oild filter? Does the filter
eventually clog up, or what?

As for oil changes, there is a slight leak in the rocker box gasket, so the
occasional oil top-ups amount to a complete oil change about every 2 years,
without needing to undo the sump nut - very convenient. ;-)

TIA

Al

6000ml/6months whichever is the sooner. more modern diesels are
12000ml/12months.

You might be adding clean oil regularly but the leak is not getting rid
of any of the sludge from your sump neither do you burn any sludge.

Workout how much hassle and cost to you of a seized engine compared with
2hrs max per year changing your own oil.

Go figure as our 'merkin friends say.

Bob