Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default How to properly scrap a machine

Ignoramus20484 on Sun, 04 Dec
2011 21:30:33 -0600 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
I have a Cincinnati #$2 tool and cutter grinder

http://goo.gl/cktGy

The table seems to be stuck and is moving with difficulty. Since they
are worth (on eBay) a third over their scrap value anyway, I have no
interest in fixing it.

Instead, I want to take off all handles, reversing switch, other
electricals etc and scrap the machine itself. I wonder if there is
something else that I should do to get top dollar per pound on this
machine? Do scrap yards penalize me for, say, leaving the motor on the
machine, as contamination?

If you leave it on, they will pay you scrap steel prices for an
electrical motor.

Or should I not bother and just drive the machine over there after
taking off what I need?

Your time, vs the possible return on the scrap value of the motor.

Clueless in scrap

"Strip it for parts" - separate the motor, "scrap as unit", any
wiring, yank and add to the copper wire pile. Computer/electrical
components - like wise.
It might be "worth it" time wise, to just take the big pieces off
and let them have the whole thing "as is. And they can have someone
get the copper bits, themselves.
--
pyotr
you are a bloody fool, only an ignorant cretin would even ask the