Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tim Wescott[_4_] Tim Wescott[_4_] is offline

Default How to properly scrap a machine

On Sun, 04 Dec 2011 21:30:33 -0600, Ignoramus20484 wrote:

I have a Cincinnati #$2 tool and cutter grinder

http://goo.gl/cktGy

The table seems to be stuck and is moving with difficulty. Since they
are worth (on eBay) a third over their scrap value anyway, I have no
interest in fixing it.

Instead, I want to take off all handles, reversing switch, other
electricals etc and scrap the machine itself. I wonder if there is
something else that I should do to get top dollar per pound on this
machine? Do scrap yards penalize me for, say, leaving the motor on the
machine, as contamination?

Or should I not bother and just drive the machine over there after
taking off what I need?

It's more likely that the scrap yard is happy to pay you scrap steel
prices for scrap copper.

I'm probably as clueless about scrap as you are, but it occurs to me that
if you have any really low paid help you may want to investigate taking
the copper out of the motor and selling it separately.

--
Tim Wescott
www.wescottdesign.com