Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Anderson Jon Anderson is offline

Default Looking for: Vee thread based worm wheel. Done Deal....

On 12/3/2011 7:29 PM, wrote:

I was not trying to say that you really wanted an Acme thread. But if
you could not find the vendor of Vee worm wheels, you could use a
common worm wheel with an
Acme threaded rod.

Dan,

That was directed more at posts suggesting what I was trying to do
wouldn't work well. And they would be right if any significant force was
to be transmitted. All in all, maybe I should have spelled out the
details up front. But there's usually a naysayer that will pipe up
anyway, that's the nature of usenet. My problem is I feel compelled to
explain everything instead of ignoring them.

I wasn't sure I could get a worm wheel that would run on standard Acme
threaded rod, but one thing that made me think of the vee worm wheels
was the claim they were significantly cheaper than a proper worm wheel.
Of course, hobbing a gear that's been sitting in a box for the last 20
years with a tap is cheaper yet. I'm not exactly McGyver, but I do enjoy
figuring out how to do what I want to do using as much as possible, bits
and pieces I have laying around. And I have lots of bits and pieces
laying around...

Jon