Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Wild_Bill Wild_Bill is offline

Default Unusual Marshall amp fault

Many of the old small transistor radios and similar portable gear from Japan
often had lengths of clear tubing on all the long leads for that 'vertical'
method of assembly.
Standing those axial-lead components on end was the early method of making
portable gear very compact.

I remember a radio which was only about 1-1/2" square and about 3/4" thick..
thin perforated aluminum speaker grille covering the front, and knobs on the
side.. much more compact than any other radio at the time, 1963 maybe.

--
Cheers,
WB

"Dave Platt" wrote in message

Heh... good catch!

I once had to debug a NAD stereo receiver I'd bought, used... bad
crackling and popping on occasion, especially when tapped or banged.
Like a lot of Japanese kit from a couple of decades ago, it had quite
a few through-hold resistors in a "vertical" mounting position. Two
had leaned, or been bend over just enough that their flying upper
leads could make contact... POP!

--
Dave Platt AE6EO