Posted to alt.home.repair
Mr. Austerity Mr. Austerity is offline

Default 31 Things You'll Never Hear a Texan Say...

harry wrote:
On Dec 2, 7:13 pm, "Mr. Austerity" "PrintMo.Money " wrote:
harry wrote:

Garden machinery, transport, advertising, fuel, maintentance, bad
weather, insurance etc?
You'd never make an accountant I can see.

But but but, It's all tax free, isn't it?

The point was it is not clear profit, there are significant overheads.

Earning money attracts tax.
Saving money does not.

Actually I did contract yard work one summer, for a property
management company. I had all the stuff already to do the work.
I did it as much just to get out of the house after retirement as
anything. Most of the properties were rent houses and the yards were
pitiful. Tall grass usually over a foot with junk and debris to clear,
holes from dogs digging, trees that needed trimming, and saplings that
had grown through the fence. I was as efficient as anyone business wise
but there wasn't much profit, and the taxes took care of a lot of what
extra money there was. To do it all legal you had to have a labor dept.
work card and company sent a 1099 to the IRS and there was alway the
liability of something, like a rock going through the neighbor's window.
Unless it's a small well kept yard and there are several lined up in
close proximity there isn't going to be much profit doing yard work.
And I also had to listen to the neighbors complain about the
renters..... actually that was why I chose not to do it again the next
year, the neighbors of the rent houses. I did the yard work to rent
house standards, not to old ladies next doors. They had to much time on
her hands standards.