Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Anderson Jon Anderson is offline

Default Looking for: Vee thread based worm wheel

On 12/2/2011 2:12 PM, wrote:

Can you not use a regular worm gear and Acme threaded rod with the
same pitch?

Don't see why not, but I'm looking to either use as much as I can from
my scrap and parts bins, or buy something that'll do the job. If I have
to go buy acme screw stock and a worm wheel and add labor to that, I'm
getting close to the tipping point of just buying a focusing block.
If I could get a post mount focus block for $50, I'd just do that, but
cheapest I've seen one on ebay is around $90.
Spend money and save labor or spend labor and save money. Don't want to
do both... And, I do like the idea of doing something a bit different...

Jon