Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tim Wescott Tim Wescott is offline

Default Looking for: Vee thread based worm wheel

On Fri, 02 Dec 2011 08:47:33 -0800, Jon Anderson wrote:

Had a brochure years ago for a company that made worm wheels cut to use
standard threaded rod for the worm. Can't find it now. I might well end
up making my own, but at least want to see (if they're still around)
what an off the shelf worm wheel would cost.

Anyone run across, and remember the name of this outfit?

I'm guessing he

I think that such an assembly would be even more inefficient than a worm
drive. Additionally, it seems that getting proper mesh would be
problematic: a worm gear will have a sort of flat-ish spot that'd give
you a nice broad optimum, while a V-cut would require that you get
everything just right to work. Moreover, the V-cut would tend to always
want to push the gears apart, to a greater extent than a normal worm gear
tooth profile -- put that together with the extra need for accuracy, and
it'd be difficult to keep your assembly in tune.

It sounds like one of those deals that's just too good to be true.

http://www.wescottdesign.com