Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Somewhat OT....x10 system

On Dec 1, 8:45*pm, "Justin Time" wrote:
"RBM" wrote in message

On 12/1/2011 5:27 PM, Justin Time wrote:
Though, not a true home repair issue, it is a home issue nonetheless.

Does anyone have any experience with X10 security system and devices? I
want
to install some wireless cams with motion activation and Internet viewing
and eventually build up the system to lighting control and other
appliance
controls. Therefore, I'm searching for a reliable and lower cost
retailer/supplier of X10 devices and basically, any general info I should
know about.

All advice and suggestions appreciated.

Thank you

IMO, the words reliable and X10 should never be in the same sentence

LOL...that's good to know.- Hide quoted text -

I agree. X10 is fine for turning on say a light where maybe
97% reliability is OK. But for something that you want to
be more reliable than that, I would not recommend it.
It's also very installation dependent. If the X10 devices
are on the same circuit, close to each other, etc, it's
probably going to work better than if they are on different
circuits at opposite ends of the house. It's also sensitive
to noise on the lines from other sources.

One big short coming is that the protocol is not a positive
one. The sending device does not receive any acknowledgement
that the command it sent has been successfully received.
If that were part of X10 the reliability would be much greater.