Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Somewhat OT....x10 system

Though, not a true home repair issue, it is a home issue nonetheless.

Does anyone have any experience with X10 security system and devices? I want
to install some wireless cams with motion activation and Internet viewing
and eventually build up the system to lighting control and other appliance
controls. Therefore, I'm searching for a reliable and lower cost
retailer/supplier of X10 devices and basically, any general info I should
know about.

All advice and suggestions appreciated.

Thank you

Posted to alt.home.repair

Justin Time wrote:
Though, not a true home repair issue, it is a home issue nonetheless.

Does anyone have any experience with X10 security system and devices?
I want to install some wireless cams with motion activation and
Internet viewing and eventually build up the system to lighting
control and other appliance controls. Therefore, I'm searching for a
reliable and lower cost retailer/supplier of X10 devices and
basically, any general info I should know about.

All advice and suggestions appreciated.

comp.home.automation would be worth checking out. I've not heard much good about
X10 cameras, but have had good usage of X10 power control devices.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/1/2011 4:27 PM, Justin Time wrote:
Though, not a true home repair issue, it is a home issue nonetheless.

Does anyone have any experience with X10 security system and devices? I want
to install some wireless cams with motion activation and Internet viewing
and eventually build up the system to lighting control and other appliance
controls. Therefore, I'm searching for a reliable and lower cost
retailer/supplier of X10 devices and basically, any general info I should
know about.

All advice and suggestions appreciated.

Thank you

First of all, I DON'T use X10 for anything. In fact, I have a box of X10
cameras, etc. around here somewhere that I purchased and was very
disappointed with thus if I find them they will find their way to e-bay.

On the other hand, I do have several wireless cams that I can view on
the Internet. They are always on and always viewable but when they see
motion they send me and e-mail and/or upload the image via FTP to one of
my domains. These are simply $60 cameras that are available at Tiger
Direct, NewEgg, e-bay, and many other places.

In short, although you might need X10 for lighting and appliance control
you certainly don't need it for simple motion activated wireless cams.

Don

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/1/2011 5:27 PM, Justin Time wrote:
Though, not a true home repair issue, it is a home issue nonetheless.

Does anyone have any experience with X10 security system and devices? I want
to install some wireless cams with motion activation and Internet viewing
and eventually build up the system to lighting control and other appliance
controls. Therefore, I'm searching for a reliable and lower cost
retailer/supplier of X10 devices and basically, any general info I should
know about.

All advice and suggestions appreciated.

Thank you

IMO, the words reliable and X10 should never be in the same sentence
Posted to alt.home.repair

"IGot2P" wrote in message
[...]

OK, I don't mind avoiding the X10 cams. Care to provide input about your
cams? Brand, picture quality, special features like pan, tilt, etc., night
vision and overall how well you like them.

Thank you

Posted to alt.home.repair

"RBM" wrote in message
On 12/1/2011 5:27 PM, Justin Time wrote:
Though, not a true home repair issue, it is a home issue nonetheless.

Does anyone have any experience with X10 security system and devices? I
want
to install some wireless cams with motion activation and Internet viewing
and eventually build up the system to lighting control and other
appliance
controls. Therefore, I'm searching for a reliable and lower cost
retailer/supplier of X10 devices and basically, any general info I should
know about.

All advice and suggestions appreciated.

Thank you

IMO, the words reliable and X10 should never be in the same sentence

LOL...that's good to know.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/1/2011 7:44 PM, Justin Time wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

Just point your browser to
and read the specs. on that one. I am not recommending that particular
camera but just using it as an example.

There are about a zillion brands out there and all are almost identical.
The hardware is normally quite good but the instructions are almost
always lacking and the software is sometimes a bit flaky. I have found
that some of the software will only work with IE and not with Firefox,
Chrome, etc.

We have both the motion detecting ones and the non-motion detecting ones
at our home. We are gone a lot and we use the motion detecting ones for
security purposes. If someone walks in front of one of them I get an
e-mail with the image (have it sent to your smart phone if you like).
Depending upon the camera the image can also be recorded on your hard
drive and/or uploaded via ftp to a domain that you own. I personally
prefer to have it uploaded because if the intruder would happen to
decide to take one of your computer systems you would have lost the image.

The cameras that are not motion detecting we simply use to view our
home, yard, outbuildings, etc. when we are gone. Again, these cameras
are just for viewing and NOT recording an image.

We are also involved in a expensive lodge that is rented out for
weddings, reunions, etc. and we have seven more expensive motion
detecting cameras in and about it. We can view them on the Internet at
any time and when they detect any motion a video is recorded to a well
hidden DVR. These particular cameras at the lodge are not wireless and
were installed when the lodge was built.

Just remember if someone cuts you phone line outside you lose your DSL
and your cameras unless you are recording to a in-house wired DVR.

Just Google "wireless security cameras" and you will no doubt find an
abundance of information.

Hope this helps,

Don

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 1, 8:45*pm, "Justin Time" wrote:
"RBM" wrote in message

On 12/1/2011 5:27 PM, Justin Time wrote:
Though, not a true home repair issue, it is a home issue nonetheless.

Does anyone have any experience with X10 security system and devices? I
want
to install some wireless cams with motion activation and Internet viewing
and eventually build up the system to lighting control and other
appliance
controls. Therefore, I'm searching for a reliable and lower cost
retailer/supplier of X10 devices and basically, any general info I should
know about.

All advice and suggestions appreciated.

Thank you

IMO, the words reliable and X10 should never be in the same sentence

LOL...that's good to know.- Hide quoted text -

I agree. X10 is fine for turning on say a light where maybe
97% reliability is OK. But for something that you want to
be more reliable than that, I would not recommend it.
It's also very installation dependent. If the X10 devices
are on the same circuit, close to each other, etc, it's
probably going to work better than if they are on different
circuits at opposite ends of the house. It's also sensitive
to noise on the lines from other sources.

One big short coming is that the protocol is not a positive
one. The sending device does not receive any acknowledgement
that the command it sent has been successfully received.
If that were part of X10 the reliability would be much greater.