Posted to alt.home.repair
John John is offline

Default Good *electric* chain saw for (largish) fallen branches -- $100?

On 11/29/2011 8:52 PM, David Combs wrote:
In m,
wrote:
On 11/28/2011 4:22 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
http://www.harborfreight.com/6-amp-r...dle-65570.html
Try one of these for twenty bucks, and buy a lot of long
blades at HF, or your good quality hardware. You can get
blades up to 12 inches or more.

http://www.harborfreight.com/14-inch...saw-67255.html
14 inch chainsaw, electric, on sale for $60. Needs bar oil,
I'd guess.

Don't know how good the above saw is ($20 bucks ... LOL) but a 12"
bi-metal demo blade in a decent reciprocating saw can cut hardwood limbs
with no trouble. Obviously it will be slow in comparison to a chain saw
but a reciprocating saw is a great tool to have on hand anyway and a
whole lot less hassle than a chain saw. For occasional use its the way
to go.

By the way, about 16 years ago I bought a reciprocating saw that doesn't
have a handle and its so much easier to use than one that does, turn it
upside down, sideways whatever ... its just easier.

John

Hmmm. Saws-all (sp?) kind of thing?

(1) How thick a branch could it cut through?

(2) Would you likely have to cut halfway-through from one side, and
then the other half, from the other side?

(3) Being sort of a klutz with carpentry, tools, etc, and recalling
that earlier post about the chainsaw kicking back and up into
the guy's face -- a reciprocating saw seems a lot safer.

Is that actually true?

(4) Does everyone agree that having one without a handle
works better?

(5) What dangerous things can happen with one?

Thanks for the interesting idea!

David

The one I bought is a large (about 2 foot long without blade) contractor
grade that is cradled with both hands. If you can use it with one hand
then you are a large human being indeed. Since it feels the same no
matter which direction the blade cutting edge is pointing I just find it
much more natural (and safer) than trying to twist my wrists and arms
while holding onto one or two handles when you need to make a cut at an
awkward angle. In fact you can easily use it for any rough opening (like
a saber saw) where accuracy doesn't need to be spot on.

As far as safety is concerned, if it cuts wood or metal it will cut you.
But then a chain saw will cut your leg off without even slowing down so
you be the judge. Plus I doubt that your electric chain saw is the best
tool to cut off an unwanted metal pole or iron railing.

By the way, someone mentioned that small branches wiggle too much when
cutting them using a reciprocating saw. Obviously that person doesn't
know anything about pruning tools. Use long handled bypass loppers for
the small stuff, instantaneous cut and no power needed. See:

http://www.globalindustrial.com/g/ja.../Cutting-Tools

for an example. Besides storm cleanup they also come in handy for
trimming shrubbery so its a good addition to the home owner's tool
collection.

John