Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Good *electric* chain saw for (largish) fallen branches -- $100?

Up here in New York state, that 2-weeks-ago (3?) snow+wind storm
took down lots of trees, and especially lots of largish branches.

I've got one that's 6.5 inches in diameter, 8.5 at a swelling;
no way I'm going to get a regular saw and try to cut that thing.

What with this crazy weather pattern we're getting into, there'll
likely be more of this kind of thing, ie more fallen branches.

None of my neighbors have a chain-saw, so I guess I'll have to
buy my own.

What I hear is that electric is not only less expensive but also
easier to start (obviously) and easier to use.

I've googled amazon for chainsaw, also saw this site:
http://www.chainsawsdirect.com/chain...aw-reviews.htm

but thought I might better come here for your advice.

A chainsaw for me would be used only once or twice a year (I hope!);
nor do I plan to cut down entire trees -- I leave that for the experts.

It's just these thick branches that fall that I need to cut up into
pieces for later disposal.

So, any suggestions?

The cheaper ones from that chainsawdirect place go for as low as
50 or 60 dollars, and up to $250 for the top rated. Something for
$100 up to $150 might be pretty good -- though they probably screw
you on the shipping for another $50 or so...

Anyway, any ideas and advice would be really helpful!

Thanks!

David

Posted to alt.home.repair

David Combs wrote:
[...]

I have a cheap Remington 16" electric chainsaw (and several gasoline
saws), and it sucks more than you can imagine. It is very
uncomfortable to hold, it cuts slowly, and it has no oil pump (the oil
is gravity fed; you have to use motor oil instead of bar&chain oil.)
It does have plenty of power though, and will get the job done.

I have some professional non-safety chains that just happen to fit it
(Oregon 91VXL-56) and someday I want to try one and see if it makes
the thing more usable.

-Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

(David Combs) wrote:

-snip-

I've googled amazon for chainsaw, also saw this site:
http://www.chainsawsdirect.com/chain...aw-reviews.htm

but thought I might better come here for your advice.

A chainsaw for me would be used only once or twice a year (I hope!);
nor do I plan to cut down entire trees -- I leave that for the experts.

It's just these thick branches that fall that I need to cut up into
pieces for later disposal.

My experience with a 14" Remington has been different than Dan's. Mine
has an oiler & has cut several cords of wood & is usually less work to
run for a 1/2 hour than my seldom used gas saw was to get started
every year or two when I needed it.

A friend has the 16" 12 amp & it actually feels like a chainsaw. [I'm
with Dan that the 14" feels more like a toy than a chain saw in your
hands. The balance is all wrong----- But, like me, you aren't going
to be cutting for hours a day, day after day.]

So, any suggestions?

The cheaper ones from that chainsawdirect place go for as low as
50 or 60 dollars, and up to $250 for the top rated. Something for
$100 up to $150 might be pretty good -- though they probably screw
you on the shipping for another $50 or so...

Amazon has some 16" & 18" for under a $100 with shipping included.

Got a Harbor freight nearby? I got a 12" Remington on a ?10'? pole
for about $60. The 12" is held on by a single thumbscrew so you can
use it alone.
I think I saw them at Lowes or Home Depot, too.

For an infrequent user- I think electric saws have finally become
worthwhile. [I had one a decade or so ago & it was underpowered crap].

Keep the chain sharp & out of the dirt. Don't get one that you can't
pump more oil on the chain when you hit that tough old gnarly knot- or
a piece of seasoned wood.

And fer gawd sakes- follow all the safety rules! I should ask my
neighbor if I can post the picture of his brother who caught a
kickback in the face a few years ago. Split his face from his chin
to right up between the eyes-- Why it didn't kill him, I don't know.
He didn't even lose an eye. But, like all good rednecks, he insisted
someone snap a Polaroid before they went to put his face back
together.

And that was a guy with 30 year experience around saws.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.harborfreight.com/6-amp-r...dle-65570.html
Try one of these for twenty bucks, and buy a lot of long
blades at HF, or your good quality hardware. You can get
blades up to 12 inches or more.

http://www.harborfreight.com/14-inch...saw-67255.html
14 inch chainsaw, electric, on sale for $60. Needs bar oil,
I'd guess.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"David Combs" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

I have a little Remington. I used to have a good sized gas saw. Now I don't
have big trees in my lot and have no fireplace.

For small stuff the Remington works jus fine. It is light enough to use one
handed to trim limbs in my one oak tree.
It will handle what you are trying to do.

The usual rules apply. Keep the chain sharp. A Dremel with the right
attachment works well .
Keep the chain at the right tension. The owner's manual will show you how.
If you are going to cut stuff up that is on the ground, support the work and
never let the chain hit the ground,
And respect the tool and do not get distracted- pay attention to what you
are doing,

There're other things the manual will show you. How to undercut and how to
fell etc.

And, never lend it out. beside the borrower will be less careful than you.
You invite a liability lawsuit if a borrower gets hurt. If a neighbor wants
to borrow my saw he's politely told "sorry" but if it is an emergency I will
come and help.

I once had a neighbor who wanted to trim a tree that was dropping stuff into
his pool. He was going to climb the tree to reach the upper branches. That
was a setup for disaster. I told him I wanted no part of that project.

Charlie

Posted to alt.home.repair

David Combs wrote the following:
[...]

Before I bought my own chainsaws (I have a gas powered one and an
electric powered pole saw), I would ask my neighbors with fireplaces or
wood stoves to bring their chainsaws and come and cut their own fuel
from my fallen trees or branches.
I don't have, nor want, any wood burning heaters.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

willshak wrote the following:
[...]

BTW, in answer to your question, my pole saw is a McCulloch MCP1510. 1.5
HP. The saw can be removed from the pole for close work.
I don't like to use it for high work anymore because it is too unwieldy
for me at my age. Besides, my Son-in-law has a cherry picker.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/28/2011 4:22 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
http://www.harborfreight.com/6-amp-r...dle-65570.html
Try one of these for twenty bucks, and buy a lot of long
blades at HF, or your good quality hardware. You can get
blades up to 12 inches or more.

http://www.harborfreight.com/14-inch...saw-67255.html
14 inch chainsaw, electric, on sale for $60. Needs bar oil,
I'd guess.

Don't know how good the above saw is ($20 bucks ... LOL) but a 12"
bi-metal demo blade in a decent reciprocating saw can cut hardwood limbs
with no trouble. Obviously it will be slow in comparison to a chain saw
but a reciprocating saw is a great tool to have on hand anyway and a
whole lot less hassle than a chain saw. For occasional use its the way
to go.

By the way, about 16 years ago I bought a reciprocating saw that doesn't
have a handle and its so much easier to use than one that does, turn it
upside down, sideways whatever ... its just easier.

John
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/28/2011 5:38 PM, John wrote:
[...]

My bad ... 30 bucks ... still LOL

John

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 28 Nov 2011 17:38:36 -0500, John wrote:

On 11/28/2011 4:22 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
http://www.harborfreight.com/6-amp-r...dle-65570.html
Try one of these for twenty bucks, and buy a lot of long
blades at HF, or your good quality hardware. You can get
blades up to 12 inches or more.

http://www.harborfreight.com/14-inch...saw-67255.html
14 inch chainsaw, electric, on sale for $60. Needs bar oil,
I'd guess.

Don't know how good the above saw is ($20 bucks ... LOL) but a 12"
bi-metal demo blade in a decent reciprocating saw can cut hardwood limbs
with no trouble. Obviously it will be slow in comparison to a chain saw
but a reciprocating saw is a great tool to have on hand anyway and a
whole lot less hassle than a chain saw. For occasional use its the way
to go.

I've got a reciprocating saw and some blades they call 'the axe'.
Thanks, but I'll grab the chainsaw every time. Small branches wiggle
too much to try to cut with the reciprocating saw. The big ones
just take too darn long. In trunks 4-5" in diameter the blade is
much more likely to get pinched than a chainsaw blade would.

All that said-- I wish I'd gotten the reciprocating saw 10 years
earlier than I did. Nothing beats it for demolishing walls.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

http://hfreviews.com/item.php?id=6591
And reviewed, online. The two reviewers said the saw was OK.
One, something came apart, and had to be screwed back down.
The other reminds us, the saw doesn't have automatic brake,
so it keeps going after you left off the trigger.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

http://www.harborfreight.com/6-amp-r...dle-65570.html
Try one of these for twenty bucks, and buy a lot of long
blades at HF, or your good quality hardware. You can get
blades up to 12 inches or more.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks for the field report. Yeah, chain saws have one
constant direction of pull, so they are less wiggle
frustrated. I'd also be frustrated if all I did was wiggle,
and never would cut it. But, I digress.

Why would you want to demolish walls?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Jim Elbrecht" wrote in message

I've got a reciprocating saw and some blades they call 'the
axe'.
Thanks, but I'll grab the chainsaw every time. Small
branches wiggle
too much to try to cut with the reciprocating saw. The
big ones
just take too darn long. In trunks 4-5" in diameter the
blade is
much more likely to get pinched than a chainsaw blade would.

All that said-- I wish I'd gotten the reciprocating saw 10
years
earlier than I did. Nothing beats it for demolishing
walls.

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/28/2011 6:59 PM, Jim Elbrecht wrote:

I've got a reciprocating saw and some blades they call 'the axe'.
Thanks, but I'll grab the chainsaw every time. Small branches wiggle
too much to try to cut with the reciprocating saw. The big ones
just take too darn long. In trunks 4-5" in diameter the blade is
much more likely to get pinched than a chainsaw blade would.

All that said-- I wish I'd gotten the reciprocating saw 10 years
earlier than I did. Nothing beats it for demolishing walls.

Jim

I won't argue with the above but the average home owner needs to pick
their battles. A chain saw is a pain in the butt to maintain and unless
you have an *ongoing need* not worth the hassle of ownership.

In the case of the original op's question, purchasing an electric chain
saw to do a clean up after a storm is foolish. Electric or gas, a chain
saw can be rented if you feel that taking a bit of time to cut through
one 6.5" limb and one 8.5" limb with a hand saw or sawz-all is too
dreadful to consider.

John
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 28 Nov 2011 19:41:19 -0500, John wrote:

In the case of the original op's question, purchasing an electric chain
saw to do a clean up after a storm is foolish. Electric or gas, a chain
saw can be rented if you feel that taking a bit of time to cut through
one 6.5" limb and one 8.5" limb with a hand saw or sawz-all is too
dreadful to consider.

John

I have two electric chain saws, one from a yard sale. It was sparking
when I bought it. And another a gift from my ministorage friend.
They're 12 inches or so.

A snow storm brought one trunk of a tree down on my fence gate 2 years
ago. Without the saw, I would have been stuck in the house and had
to calal someone, and no one I know would know how to get me out.

The saw from my friend didn't cut well at first. Had to look closely
but the chain was put on backwards!!!!

I think the oil reservoir leaks on one, and the other might not even
have one. I end up using aerosol chain oil, from HFbut iirc not
especially cheap there, and so far no overheating.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 29 Nov 2011 08:40:17 -0500, micky
wrote:

I have two electric chain saws, one from a yard sale. It was sparking
when I bought it. And another a gift from my ministorage friend.
They're 12 inches or so.

A snow storm brought one trunk of a tree down on my fence gate 2 years
ago. Without the saw, I would have been stuck in the house and had
to calal someone, and no one I know would know how to get me out.

The saw from my friend didn't cut well at first. Had to look closely
but the chain was put on backwards!!!!

I think the oil reservoir leaks on one, and the other might not even
have one. I end up using aerosol chain oil, from HFbut iirc not
especially cheap there, and so far no overheating.

And I've also used it several other times to cut up trees or limbs
that have fallen down or broken, and once for my ministorage friend.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"David Combs" wrote in message

Up here in New York state, that 2-weeks-ago (3?) snow+wind storm
took down lots of trees, and especially lots of largish branches.

I've got one that's 6.5 inches in diameter, 8.5 at a swelling;
no way I'm going to get a regular saw and try to cut that thing.

So long as this branch is firm (does not wobble) a bow saw with
a new/sharp blade will sever it in two minutes or less. Cost = $20.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 28, 1:19*pm, (David Combs) wrote:
None of my neighbors have a chain-saw, so I guess I'll have to
buy my own.

So, any suggestions?

Last time I looked the local box stores had several electric chainsaws
to choose from on the shelf, none over $100. Most with 12-14" bars.

The beauty of buying local, with the extended service plan a
replacement is as close as your local box store. Handy in a pinch,
such as when one of these freak storms blow in.

You're also not going to be worrying yourself into an aneurysm
researching online. Just buy the f*cking saw and be done with it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
John wrote:
[...]

Hmmm. Saws-all (sp?) kind of thing?

(1) How thick a branch could it cut through?

(2) Would you likely have to cut halfway-through from one side, and
then the other half, from the other side?

(3) Being sort of a klutz with carpentry, tools, etc, and recalling
that earlier post about the chainsaw kicking back and up into
the guy's face -- a reciprocating saw seems a lot safer.

Is that actually true?

(4) Does everyone agree that having one without a handle
works better?

(5) What dangerous things can happen with one?

Thanks for the interesting idea!

David

Posted to alt.home.repair

"David Combs" wrote in message
On 11/28/2011 4:22 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

http://www.harborfreight.com/6-amp-r...dle-65570.html
Try one of these for twenty bucks, and buy a lot of long
blades at HF, or your good quality hardware. You can get
blades up to 12 inches or more.

Hmmm. Saws-all (sp?) kind of thing?

(1) How thick a branch could it cut through?

CY: About the same thickness as the length of the blade.

(2) Would you likely have to cut halfway-through from one
side, and
then the other half, from the other side?
CY: Most folks I've seen, don't. You can cut from one side
then the other with a chain saw, but I've not seen it done
with a sawzall.

(3) Being sort of a klutz with carpentry, tools, etc, and
recalling
that earlier post about the chainsaw kicking back and up
into
the guy's face -- a reciprocating saw seems a lot safer.

Is that actually true?
CY: you can hurt yourself with either. Recip is less likely
to come flying up at you.

(4) Does everyone agree that having one without a handle
works better?
CY: I'd rather have a handle to hang onto. I'm not sure if
mine is considered to be with or wtihout.

(5) What dangerous things can happen with one?
CY: The saw can bind, and then the saw pushes at you --
fortunately less dangerous than chainsaw kick back. You can
get tired, and dangle the saw, the cutting teeth can cut
fingers, arms, legs, etc. You know; the usual dangers.

Thanks for the interesting idea!
CY: My pleasure!

David
CY: Good name. Some of the men in my family are named David.
Well, at least one.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks, all, for the responses, and the varied suggestions offered.

One obvious questsion: just how dangerous are these things to use?

What are the bad things that can happen, and how likely are they
to happen when cutting tree branches (that have fallen to the ground)?

What kind of safety equipment should one wear?

Is there anything that the expensive ones, like a $250 Husquavarna (sp?),
have that makes owning and using it a *lot* simpler (or safer, too)?

And, if anyone wants to contribute to this thread, PLEASE DO!

Thanks!

David

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/29/2011 9:07 PM, David Combs wrote:
Thanks, all, for the responses, and the varied suggestions offered.

One obvious questsion: just how dangerous are these things to use?

What are the bad things that can happen, and how likely are they
to happen when cutting tree branches (that have fallen to the ground)?

What kind of safety equipment should one wear?

An excellent book covering all those concerns:

To Fell a Tree by Jeff Jepson

Is there anything that the expensive ones, like a $250 Husquavarna (sp?),
have that makes owning and using it a *lot* simpler (or safer, too)?

I used to own a Chinasaw I bought at McLowes Depot. I got tired of
constantly repairing it. So I bought a Stihl. That was years ago and I
Stihl have not had to repair it yet.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 28 Nov 2011 13:19:21 -0500, (David Combs) wrote:

[...]

I have a McCullough electric chainsaw and it works great.
No need to mix gas and oil, and fight with a stubborn to start gas
saw, which it seems most of the gas ones are unless they are used
daily. I'm a farmer so I use a chainsaw more than most guys, but they
still sit in storage for months at times, and thats when they gum up
in the fuel. You need to use gas stabilizer in all 2cycle small
engines, but all of this takes time and money. My electric one is
always ready to use immediately. Just plug it in and go.....

No, it's not big enough to take down whole trees (large ones), but it
works fine for trimming, cutting up fallen debris after storms, and
even taking off a limb up to about 10" in diameter.

One thing about the electric saws is DO NOT FORCE THEM. I have burned
out the motors on a few older ones, but forcing them. Just let the
blade do it's work, and keep it sharp.

This McCullough is durable, yet lightweight which makes it easy to cut
small branches from a ladder. For what I do, I need BOTH an electric
and a gas saw. But I only use the gas one for big jobs like whole
trees. Most of the time the electric one is fine.

I only have 2 complaints about my McCullough. The chain oiler is just
a gravity feed, and dont oil real well. (it's not clogged). I just
keep a pump oil can handy and shoot oil on the chain regularly. The
other thing is that the chain likes to loosen up easily and if it's
not tightened quickly, it comes off the bar. (This seems to be a
typical problem with all the small chain/bars).

Posted to alt.home.repair

(David Combs) wrote:

Thanks, all, for the responses, and the varied suggestions offered.

One obvious questsion: just how dangerous are these things to use?

About as dangerous as a loaded pistol-- only messier. Just
remember that there are millions of us who have used them for 50 years
and still have all their digits and no scars from chains. [I did
lose a glove once--- I love when fate gives you a wake-up call like
that.]

Don't saw tired-- leave the beer for later- follow the rules.

What are the bad things that can happen, and how likely are they
to happen when cutting tree branches (that have fallen to the ground)?

Kickback probably causes the worst damage. The saw will come with
directions on how to minimize the chances of that happening-- and how
to avoid it.

Falling on the saw is another fairly common one. Make sure you have
good footing-- and an escape route - before you start each cut.
Branches on the ground can still jump, roll, or drop when you cut
them. Figure out what they are going to do- and be ready for them to
do anyhting else.

What kind of safety equipment should one wear?

Glasses and gloves. I've seen helmets with face guards that might
be worthwhile. The thing with cutting up downed branches is that
- when you least expect it, a smallish branch will whip around and
slap you on the ear-- you jump, and rip a giant gash in your levi's
and the leg inside them.

I don't know if it will actually stop the saw from damaging your face
if the saw goes that way.

Go here-
https://www.google.com/search?q=chainsaw+kickback+face

Then hit 'images' on the side-

That crap doesn't *have* to happen. Most of us are just as pretty as
god made us and we've been using saws for decades.

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/29/2011 8:52 PM, David Combs wrote:
In m,
wrote:
[...]

The one I bought is a large (about 2 foot long without blade) contractor
grade that is cradled with both hands. If you can use it with one hand
then you are a large human being indeed. Since it feels the same no
matter which direction the blade cutting edge is pointing I just find it
much more natural (and safer) than trying to twist my wrists and arms
while holding onto one or two handles when you need to make a cut at an
awkward angle. In fact you can easily use it for any rough opening (like
a saber saw) where accuracy doesn't need to be spot on.

As far as safety is concerned, if it cuts wood or metal it will cut you.
But then a chain saw will cut your leg off without even slowing down so
you be the judge. Plus I doubt that your electric chain saw is the best
tool to cut off an unwanted metal pole or iron railing.

By the way, someone mentioned that small branches wiggle too much when
cutting them using a reciprocating saw. Obviously that person doesn't
know anything about pruning tools. Use long handled bypass loppers for
the small stuff, instantaneous cut and no power needed. See:

http://www.globalindustrial.com/g/ja.../Cutting-Tools

for an example. Besides storm cleanup they also come in handy for
trimming shrubbery so its a good addition to the home owner's tool
collection.

John