Posted to alt.home.repair
Larry W Larry W is offline

Default Horsepower of electric motor V/S Size of motor

In article ,
wrote:
I have a 1/2HP electric motor on a power saw, and that motor is fairly
large. I just bought a portable pump for transferring water from
items such as a flooded washing machine, bathtub with clogged drain,
etc. That motor is only about 35% of the size of the motor on my
power saw, yet the tag says it's a 1/2HP motor.

How can one 1/2HP motor less than half the size of another 1/2HP motor
produce the same horsepower? Is there another factor to take into
account besides the HP? Is it torque, or some other factor? Somehow
I cant see how this small pump motor could power my saw....

Thanks

Without even going into considerations of efficiency, torque characteristics,
or type of moter (induction, series/universal, etc.) one common way
is simply to increase the operating RPM. A 1 HP motor operating at 3600 rpm
can be significantly smaller than one operating at 1800 rpm.