Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Elbrecht Jim Elbrecht is offline

Default Good *electric* chain saw for (largish) fallen branches -- $100?

(David Combs) wrote:

Thanks, all, for the responses, and the varied suggestions offered.

One obvious questsion: just how dangerous are these things to use?

About as dangerous as a loaded pistol-- only messier. Just
remember that there are millions of us who have used them for 50 years
and still have all their digits and no scars from chains. [I did
lose a glove once--- I love when fate gives you a wake-up call like
that.]

Don't saw tired-- leave the beer for later- follow the rules.

What are the bad things that can happen, and how likely are they
to happen when cutting tree branches (that have fallen to the ground)?

Kickback probably causes the worst damage. The saw will come with
directions on how to minimize the chances of that happening-- and how
to avoid it.

Falling on the saw is another fairly common one. Make sure you have
good footing-- and an escape route - before you start each cut.
Branches on the ground can still jump, roll, or drop when you cut
them. Figure out what they are going to do- and be ready for them to
do anyhting else.

What kind of safety equipment should one wear?

Glasses and gloves. I've seen helmets with face guards that might
be worthwhile. The thing with cutting up downed branches is that
- when you least expect it, a smallish branch will whip around and
slap you on the ear-- you jump, and rip a giant gash in your levi's
and the leg inside them.

I don't know if it will actually stop the saw from damaging your face
if the saw goes that way.

Go here-
https://www.google.com/search?q=chainsaw+kickback+face

Then hit 'images' on the side-

That crap doesn't *have* to happen. Most of us are just as pretty as
god made us and we've been using saws for decades.

Jim