Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] jw@myplace.com is offline

Default Horsepower of electric motor V/S Size of motor

I have a 1/2HP electric motor on a power saw, and that motor is fairly
large. I just bought a portable pump for transferring water from
items such as a flooded washing machine, bathtub with clogged drain,
etc. That motor is only about 35% of the size of the motor on my
power saw, yet the tag says it's a 1/2HP motor.

How can one 1/2HP motor less than half the size of another 1/2HP motor
produce the same horsepower? Is there another factor to take into
account besides the HP? Is it torque, or some other factor? Somehow
I cant see how this small pump motor could power my saw....

Thanks