paul

Default Bent crankshaft

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message .1...
Damn 'n blast. Hit one of the larger rocks (bed rock...) in the "lawn"
with the blade of the rotary mower the other week. Sheared the
locating pins on the diecast boss, neat I though saves the engine.

Got a new boss and blade and fitted them, started it up and boy is
there a lot of vibration. Check the new blade for balance OK. Dreaded
thought output shaft bent, mower up on blocks, engine started. Oh
dear... there is the shaft wobbling nicely by about 3/16". The B&S
10D900 series engine is "lumpy" and hunts but then it has no load,
with the blade fitted and a short run of mowing it didn't seem to bad
considering the vibration...

What does the panel think are the chances of:

a) Straighting the shaft in stitue.
b) Other engine damage.

Hi Dave,
I've worked in the garden machinery industry for quite a number of
years and have done crank shaft straightening on numerous occassions.
You won't do it in situte, the engine has to come off and is bolted
into a jig and then the crank is pushed back straight by tightenig
bolts against it. It requires some nerve as it takes an awefull lot of
pressure and it is possible to break the sump or crank case casting if
you are not carefull. Most mower shops will just want to sell you a
new mower, engine or crank so you may have to hunt around untill you
find a 'good one' that can do it for you.

Hope that helps, BashTin