Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Good *electric* chain saw for (largish) fallen branches -- $100?

"David Combs" wrote in message
On 11/28/2011 4:22 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

http://www.harborfreight.com/6-amp-r...dle-65570.html
Try one of these for twenty bucks, and buy a lot of long
blades at HF, or your good quality hardware. You can get
blades up to 12 inches or more.

Hmmm. Saws-all (sp?) kind of thing?

(1) How thick a branch could it cut through?

CY: About the same thickness as the length of the blade.

(2) Would you likely have to cut halfway-through from one
side, and
then the other half, from the other side?
CY: Most folks I've seen, don't. You can cut from one side
then the other with a chain saw, but I've not seen it done
with a sawzall.

(3) Being sort of a klutz with carpentry, tools, etc, and
recalling
that earlier post about the chainsaw kicking back and up
into
the guy's face -- a reciprocating saw seems a lot safer.

Is that actually true?
CY: you can hurt yourself with either. Recip is less likely
to come flying up at you.

(4) Does everyone agree that having one without a handle
works better?
CY: I'd rather have a handle to hang onto. I'm not sure if
mine is considered to be with or wtihout.

(5) What dangerous things can happen with one?
CY: The saw can bind, and then the saw pushes at you --
fortunately less dangerous than chainsaw kick back. You can
get tired, and dangle the saw, the cutting teeth can cut
fingers, arms, legs, etc. You know; the usual dangers.

Thanks for the interesting idea!
CY: My pleasure!

David
CY: Good name. Some of the men in my family are named David.
Well, at least one.