Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Elbrecht Jim Elbrecht is offline

Default Good *electric* chain saw for (largish) fallen branches -- $100?

On Mon, 28 Nov 2011 17:38:36 -0500, John wrote:

On 11/28/2011 4:22 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
http://www.harborfreight.com/6-amp-r...dle-65570.html
Try one of these for twenty bucks, and buy a lot of long
blades at HF, or your good quality hardware. You can get
blades up to 12 inches or more.

http://www.harborfreight.com/14-inch...saw-67255.html
14 inch chainsaw, electric, on sale for $60. Needs bar oil,
I'd guess.

Don't know how good the above saw is ($20 bucks ... LOL) but a 12"
bi-metal demo blade in a decent reciprocating saw can cut hardwood limbs
with no trouble. Obviously it will be slow in comparison to a chain saw
but a reciprocating saw is a great tool to have on hand anyway and a
whole lot less hassle than a chain saw. For occasional use its the way
to go.

I've got a reciprocating saw and some blades they call 'the axe'.
Thanks, but I'll grab the chainsaw every time. Small branches wiggle
too much to try to cut with the reciprocating saw. The big ones
just take too darn long. In trunks 4-5" in diameter the blade is
much more likely to get pinched than a chainsaw blade would.

All that said-- I wish I'd gotten the reciprocating saw 10 years
earlier than I did. Nothing beats it for demolishing walls.

Jim