Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Elbrecht Jim Elbrecht is offline

Default Good *electric* chain saw for (largish) fallen branches -- $100?

(David Combs) wrote:

-snip-

I've googled amazon for chainsaw, also saw this site:
http://www.chainsawsdirect.com/chain...aw-reviews.htm

but thought I might better come here for your advice.

A chainsaw for me would be used only once or twice a year (I hope!);
nor do I plan to cut down entire trees -- I leave that for the experts.

It's just these thick branches that fall that I need to cut up into
pieces for later disposal.

My experience with a 14" Remington has been different than Dan's. Mine
has an oiler & has cut several cords of wood & is usually less work to
run for a 1/2 hour than my seldom used gas saw was to get started
every year or two when I needed it.

A friend has the 16" 12 amp & it actually feels like a chainsaw. [I'm
with Dan that the 14" feels more like a toy than a chain saw in your
hands. The balance is all wrong----- But, like me, you aren't going
to be cutting for hours a day, day after day.]

So, any suggestions?

The cheaper ones from that chainsawdirect place go for as low as
50 or 60 dollars, and up to $250 for the top rated. Something for
$100 up to $150 might be pretty good -- though they probably screw
you on the shipping for another $50 or so...

Amazon has some 16" & 18" for under a $100 with shipping included.

Got a Harbor freight nearby? I got a 12" Remington on a ?10'? pole
for about $60. The 12" is held on by a single thumbscrew so you can
use it alone.
I think I saw them at Lowes or Home Depot, too.

For an infrequent user- I think electric saws have finally become
worthwhile. [I had one a decade or so ago & it was underpowered crap].

Keep the chain sharp & out of the dirt. Don't get one that you can't
pump more oil on the chain when you hit that tough old gnarly knot- or
a piece of seasoned wood.

And fer gawd sakes- follow all the safety rules! I should ask my
neighbor if I can post the picture of his brother who caught a
kickback in the face a few years ago. Split his face from his chin
to right up between the eyes-- Why it didn't kill him, I don't know.
He didn't even lose an eye. But, like all good rednecks, he insisted
someone snap a Polaroid before they went to put his face back
together.

And that was a guy with 30 year experience around saws.

Jim