Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default HF oscillating multifunction tool

zxcvbob wrote:
It says it will cut metal; does that include mild steel and stainless?
I need to cut a 2 1/8" hole in a steel door for mounting a deadbolt.
Actually, it's a hollow core wooden door that someone laminated on
both sides with steel sheet (I think it might be stainless.) Is it
worth a try for $20?

Or should I just drill a bunch of 3/32" holes, knock it out with a
cold chisel, and clean it up with a half-round file? I assume I'll
have to do some filing if I use the oscillating multitool, but not a
lot.
The hole saw I bought didn't do much except draw a circle for me and
make a pilot hole.

Let's say it doesn't work for this. Is it worth $20 anyway? Thanks.

1. The HF Multifunction Miracle Tool may or may not work for this
application. Most likely it will with the proper blade. You will NOT need to
do much, if any, filing. For the things it does effortlessly, the tool is
worth $300, not $20.

2. For your present job you could use a hole saw bit, but it has to be one
for cutting metal (as in circuit-breaker boxes).