Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve B[_13_] Steve B[_13_] is offline

Default Here we go again: PVC PIPE FOR AIR SUPPLY LINES

wrote in message
On Wed, 23 Nov 2011 22:25:21 -0500, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

In article ,
says...

In article ,
justme wrote:

Due to having no money and abundance of devil-may-care, I am thinking
of using P.V.C. pipe to put in my shop for air supply. I am thinking
of using 1/2 inch due the the highest pressure rating compared to
larger sizes.

Now, my thought is to buy some wire cloth - the stuff that has open
squares of ~ .5 inch and cut it where, when formed into a tube, it
would cover the p.v.c. pipe comfortably.

Should the pipe explode due to the air pressure, the wire-cloth should
stop large pieces from becoming killer pieces.

I expect the nay sayers to say: DON'T DO IT, YOU WILL BE KILLED. To
them I say: I don't expect to eliminate ALL CHANCES OF DEATH OR INJURY
BUT I DO EXPECT THE SHIELDING TO CALM MY FEARS RATHER THAN USING BARE
PIPE.

What say?

Thanks

Joe

I like the idea several have posted using PEX. There is also a PVC
designed and rated for air
http://www.aetnaplastics.com/product...roPipingSystem

And anybody who has never worked with PEX is in for a treat. Stuff is
amazingly easy.

Pex is easy to use. I recently had to add a faucet to my Wife's shop.
All the plumbing is in the crawl space so it was easy to tap into the
existing copper pipe using brass fittings that are made to be used
with either Pex or copper pipe. The fittings atre removable using a
horseshoe shaped tool that come 3 in a package for less than a buck. I
left the tools on the Pex after the installation so they would be
there when I need to add some more plumbing down the road. I have been
thinking about using large diameter Pex for air in my shop. I don't
know how big it comes though. I want at least 1 1/2 ID.
Eric

PEX and SharkBites can get you into some incredible places with ease. SBs
are spendy, but when you look at the work they save, and how they lessen the
fire risk, I think they're worth it. IIRC, the biggest I've seen is 1", but
if they make bigger PEX, they should have the bigger SBs. Wonder what those
cost.

Steve