Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default OT Amazon to begin charging state sales tax

On Nov 23, 9:21*am, Kurt Ullman wrote:
In article ,

*"HeyBub" wrote:

Aside: There IS an alternative: Amazon, or whoever, could simply provide a
list of each purchaser's name, address, and amount to each state comptroller
and let the STATE struggle with trying to collect the taxes. If it's too big
a job, or financially imprudent, to do so, what makes anyone think that
putting that burden on hundreds of thousands of merchants is better?

This usually the way it is SUPPOSED to be done. In Indiana, for
instance, I am supposed to pay a use tax for things I get out of state
that aren't taxable.

Same in NYS.

When I helped my daughter with her 2010 taxes, TaxAct estimated her
"NYS Use Tax" at $8 based on her earned income. (I think that might be
the minimum.)

She's a college student with a part time job and she does indeed buy
most of her stuff on-line, so we opted to leave the $8 tax on her
form.

Soon after we e-filed it, we got a notification that the state had
"fixed an error" on her form. They removed the $8 tax and increased
her refund by that amount.

Who were we to argue?