Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT Amazon to begin charging state sales tax

Notat Home wrote:

John Doe wrote:
http://www.c-spanvideo.org/program/InternetSalesTa

They are "not raising taxes" they are "just helping to collect
taxes". There is a big difference...

Years ago, the US Supreme Court ruled that it was unconstitutional for
states to collect sales tax on out of state sales. I wonder what has
changed?

Sales tax is complicated in that different places (states, counties,
cities, etc.) have different rates and different definitions of what can
be taxed. I know in Ohio, there is a use tax, identical to the sales
tax, that people have to pay themselves when they buy something out of
state, but because of complexity and ignorance, I think few people pay
it. The states lose a ton of revenue because they can't effectively
collect the sales or use tax on out of state purchases. It would
certainly be fairer to all to have the same tax for in-state and out of
state purchases.

The 'Use tax' was first used for businesses to pay taxes on items
they used for their operation, in place of sales tax. I used to collect
sales tax, and pay use tax for my electronics business.