Posted to alt.home.repair
Vic Smith Vic Smith is offline

Default OT Amazon to begin charging state sales tax

On Wed, 23 Nov 2011 05:52:41 -0600, G. Morgan

That initiative is well under way nationwide.

The states have quietly joined together to create this entity (below),
whose purpose is to create a system to collect sales tax for your
state on all your purchases, no matter whose goods you buy:
http://www.streamlinedsalestax.org/

Here's current legislation:
http://www.streamlinedsalestax.org/i...01,detail,0&c=
ntnt01articleid=3D121&cntnt01origid=3D15&cntnt01 returnid=3D74

It's coming, folks.

**** 'em. I'm in Texas and will only collect tax for Texas. What a
bunch of convoluted nonsense. How are online stores supposed to keep up
with all that?

It'll be easy for the big outfits.
A minor hassle for small-timers.
Some will ignore it.
Some will charge the tax and pocket it, not sending it in.
Some will get caught, some won't.
"Cut-out" services might pop up in no-tax states..
Those will be squashed pretty quick.

When I plug my zip into this I get 9.5%.
http://zip2tax.com/

But I already knew that.
Probably won't make much difference in affecting on-line sales.
Even the tax hit doesn't stop me.
Already pay it with some on-line vendors.

It'll be a minor boon for locales that charge sales taxes.
Then where the local pols are corrupt they'll boost their salaries and
retirement benefits, and the same for public employees.
Cleaner areas will put it to better use.
Otherwise it won't make a hill of beans difference.
Just money being shuffled around like it always is.
Death and taxes.

--Vic